Did you know that the Academy of Periodontology has reported that 50% of people taking a related survey have said that a person’s smile is the first thing that they notice about them? Well, it’s true and the following 10 little known orthodontic facts (some just for fun) can help you along you and your family’s journey to healthier, happier smiles.
1. Throw out your toothbrush after being sick. The germs from your cold/flu will remain on the toothbrush, which can prevent you from effectively cleaning your teeth and mouth.
2. The mouth produces more than 25,000 quarts of saliva during a lifetime, enough to fill up two good sized swimming pools. Saliva has several functions, which include protecting your teeth from bacteria and aiding digestion. By aiding digestion saliva helps fight the bad bacteria that threatens the overall health of your teeth and gums.
3. Straighter teeth minimize the propensity to have headaches. Crooked teeth irritate the mouth and gums, causing jaw pressure, leading to several health problems including headaches.
4. We’re born with teeth, they just havenít erupted from the gums yet. As soon as a child’s teeth begin to come in, it’s important to make sure they are properly maintained. It’ important to practice good dental health care early on and a dentist will be able to provide recommendations regarding children and optimal dental care.
5. Kissing can actually transfer over 250 colonies of bacteria to your significant other and vice versa. To help reduce potential health issues, just make sure that you both practice good dental hygiene every day. This should include removing part of the bacteria by scraping your tongue.
6. Studies have shown that people who drink 3 or more servings of soft drinks a day experience 62% more tooth decay and tooth loss than those who don’t. If you want to improve your dental health, skip the soda and sports drinks and drink water instead.
7. 90% of all life threatening illnesses exhibit oral symptoms which basically means the health condition of your mouth can help determine your overall health. Periodontal disease can cause several threatening health problems, including heart disease. Recent studies report that consistent good oral care, including flossing a brushing at home, is one of the cheapest and most powerful ways to fight several heart conditions.
8. The nickel titanium used in in some braces wire was designed by NASA using shape memory properties that are activated by pressure and/or body heat.
9. Toothpaste has only been around for around a hundred years. Before we had toothpaste, our ancestors used lemon juice, a concoction of tobacco and honey, ground chalk and charcoal to clean their teeth. Thanks goodness for toothpaste!
10. Tongue piercings can have a negative affect your dental health. An improperly pierced tongue can cause issues that including a drooling problem, blood poisoning and can have a negative effect on your sense of taste. If you’re determined to get your tongue pierce, you can lessen the chances of developing these issues by finding a highly trained, experienced piercing artist to do it. Even more important, consult with your orthodontist before you move forward with the piercing.