Orthodontic patients don’t need to give up on eating tasty foods. Sure, there will be some necessary modifications, however, there are a wide variety of healthy, “braces friendly” foods to choose from for everything from the main courses to desserts and snacks. We also mention “healthy” because a diet rich in essential nutrients isn’t just good for your overall health, it also helps the patient achieve the best possible results from the orthodontic treatment.
Following are a few obvious braces friendly foods.
– Bananas which also make an easy “grab and go” snack.
– Pancakes are ideal for those days when your mouth is sore – soft and delicious.
– Grits or cream of wheat – soft, warm and delicious, another great choice for those sore mouth moments.
– Baked fresh fish including tilapia and salmon is a popular braces friendly food choice.
– Veggies like steamed greens, soft cooked carrots and sautÈed squash are a must for a healthy, chew free side.
– Mash potatoes are a classically delicious comfort food that’s easy to eat and poses no risk of affecting your braces.
– Virtually all pastas are considered to be braces friendly. Just opt for pastas like macaroni that are smaller in size to make things easier.
– Smoothies are always a welcome treat and with the right ingredients can be a healthy meal replacement, taking the edge off mouth discomfort.
Following are a few delicious “braces friendly” recipes.
Three Cheese Macaroni
2 cups of uncooked macaroni noodles
Water for boiling
Ω cup of shredded Mozzarella cheese
Ω cup grated Parmesan cheese
Ω cup shredded Cheddar cheese (sharp or mild)
1 Ω cups skim milk
Ω cup bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium sized pot, boil the macaroni in water for approximately 10 minutes or until you can cut it with the side of a fork. Drain and set aside. In a greased, 3 quart casserole, mix together the macaroni and skim milk. Next, sprinkle with the mixture with the cheeses, then stir everything together. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on the top.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Note: You can also cut up an onion, sautÈ it and add it to the mixture – perfect for the onion lover’s in the family.
Fantastic Fruit Smoothies
2 bananas cut into 1 inch slices
1 cup frozen or fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries and/or raspberries)
1 cup of skim milk
Add all of the ingredients into a blender, mix for approximately 30 seconds on low.
Note: You can get creative with smoothies, adding in some cinnamon, honey and even a handful of greens like spinach for a healthy dose of nutrients without the taste.
Truth be told orthodontic patients can still enjoy most of their favorite foods while wearing braces, using basic common sense (don’t try to eat hard foods or things that can get lodged between your teeth or break wires and brackets, etc. Broken brackets will end up causing unnecessary dental appointments and also lengthen the treatment time, and nobody wants that.
Ousama El-Hillal, referred to as Dr. O by patients, staff and friends is an Orthodontist at E&S Orthodontics. He founded E&S Orthodontics with Dr. Saavedra in 2004. He is driven to create Wide Beautiful Smiles Without Extractions.