When people get braces, they cannot help but eagerly anticipate seeing their brand-new, gorgeous smile. In order to ensure that you get the results you desire, you must dutifully take care of your teeth. This includes brushing every day and paying attention to the advice of your Phoenix orthodontist, who will be there to guide you every step of the way. You run the risk of getting cavities, inflamed and swollen gums, stained teeth, and worse if you don’t prioritize your dental hygiene – and these are things nobody wants.
Here’s something you should keep in mind. . .
You must make a commitment to brushing your teeth at least twice per day to achieve the optimum benefits from orthodontic treatment. In order to properly care for their teeth, children who have braces must be taught the right brushing methods and reminded to do them every day.
The first and most crucial thing to remember is that the position and angle of your toothbrush ultimately determines the outcome. Here are the fundamentals of brushing your teeth while wearing braces.
- To get rid of food debris in your mouth, first, rinse with water.
- Do not simply scrub back and forth; while this cleans the top of the bracket, it does not completely clean the teeth.
- Brush the bristles of the toothbrush up at a 45° angle so that they touch the bracket on both sides.
- Using a toothbrush and gum massage, try to move any food particles away from the gum line.
- Next, adjust the toothbrush’s angle so that it is 45 degrees downward and brush thoroughly. Brush your tongue to help eliminate bacteria and freshen your breath as a precaution.
If brushing your teeth after eating is not an option, like after having lunch at school, be sure to at least rinse your mouth out with water or keep a small bottle of mouthwash in your bag. This will wash away at least some of the sugar and food residue that gathers on your smile, and protect it from further harm.
Cleaning your teeth is trickier and takes a bit more time when you have braces. Fortunately, it is worthwhile once you see the end results!
NOTE: If you want to make your life easier, it’s a wise idea to consider purchasing an electric toothbrush.
At E&S Orthodontics, patients with braces have experienced amazing results, especially if they’ve collaborated with us by brushing their teeth properly while undergoing treatment.
Do you have any concerns about brushing your teeth properly while wearing braces near you? Call us right away. Our knowledgeable, helpful staff would be delighted to assist you.