Becoming accustomed to life with braces means, among other things, understanding what you can and can’t eat. You’ll need to adjust some of your eating habits, staying away from hard, sticky foods. Biting into hard or chewy, sticky foods can end up breaking wires and brackets, which, besides being painful, can end up prolonging treatment. The good news is that the answer to the question “What soft foods can you eat while in braces?” is anything that tastes good to you. In other words, there aren’t any limitations. Just make sure that you choose soft foods that are easy to chew and don’t get stuck in your braces. That and keep good nutrition in mind.
Here are a few soft, braces-friendly food suggestions for breakfast, snacks, lunch and dinner.
- Eggs served just about any way (scrambled, fried, poached, etc.) are easy to eat and are loaded with protein
- Multi-Grain pancakes topped off with berries, lemon yogurt, etc.
- Oatmeal or cream of wheat with cinnamon, berries, etc.
- Smoothies are delicious and are great for breakfast or as a snack. You’ll never get bored with smoothies either because there are so many ways to make them.
- Your favorite yogurt
- Soft cheeses with flaky, light crackers
- Soft fruits like bananas that are both filling and nutritious.
- Just about any kind of soup
- Pasta dishes
- Soft roasted veggies with hummus
- Sandwiches made with soft fillings like chicken or tuna salad, soft cheese and peanut butter and jelly.
- Seafood without bones
- Soft, steamed vegetables
- Pastas, Asian noodle dishes, Mac and cheese, etc.
- Mashed potatoes and a soft meat side like meatloaf
While wearing braces, it’s important to maintain healthy, nutritious eating habits for, not only your teeth, but your overall health. When you have braces, your teeth are also more vulnerable to cavities so avoid sugary drinks (especially soda) and snacks.
If you have any additional questions about foods to avoid with braces, feel free to contact us anytime. Our welcoming staff is here to help. Ready to begin your journey to a beautiful, aligned smile? Call today to schedule a complimentary consultation (a $500 value).